Welcome to Doane University.
We are honored you’ve chosen us for your educational pursuits. Doane University would like to provide a network of support throughout your educational journey. Whether you attend full-time or part-time; day, evening, or online classes -– you always come first. We want you to utilize our flexible courses, varied programs, meet other adult students, have new experiences, and cultivate a sense of belonging. Our dedicated faculty and staff will help you find the right path to success.
Once you have completed this orientation, you will know and be prepared for, your responsibilities as a student at Doane University! Orientation usually takes 30 minutes to complete. We encourage you to complete each section, in order to receive the tools you will need to be successful. You may save and print the orientation checklist to ensure you have completed all required sections.
New Student Orientation
This section focuses on the technology used at Doane University. If you have not done so already, you will need to complete the New User Setup and activate your Doane Gmail account.
Doane User ID
Your User ID is the key to most university resources, it consists of your username and password. Your username should be formatted as firstname.lastname (e.g. thomas.doane). If you have questions about your username, please contact your Enrollment Counselor/Advisor for assistance. Passwords are established through an authentication process. If you have not completed this process, you will need to visit this page to access the new User Setup Tool.
Your Doane username and password will be required to access the following student resources:
- Doane Gmail: Doane University uses Gmail for student email. Students are required to submit all work through Canvas or Gmail to ensure proper verification of their identity.
- Canvas: Online courses are delivered through the Canvas System.
- Student Self-Service: A system used for billing and payment, schedules, grades, and transcripts, and more.
- Doane Library Database: An online library for students to use for research and citation assistance.
- Computer Lab Access: Students are welcome to use on-site technology including computers and printers at our Lincoln and Omaha campuses.
- Manage Your Account: Changing or resetting your password will automatically update all accounts that require Doane credentials.
For security reasons, you should change your password regularly. If you've forgotten your password -or would like to change it, you can reset it here.
Gmail -- Activation and Use
Your account must be activated with Doane ReAct Password Management Tool before you are allowed to access your Doane Gmail account. Your Doane Gmail is your main source of contact with faculty and staff. You will also receive important updates through your Doane email like; student newsletters, weather-related closures, events and more. Be sure to check this email frequently, so you don't miss any important details.
To access your Student Self-Service portal, log-in at Self-Service using your Doane username and password. On Self-Service, you can view your bill, payment, and financial aid information. You can also access academic information, from course registration to ordering official transcripts and more. We encourage you to log into your account and become familiar with it.
Doane University uses Canvas for all online coursework. Canvas is a virtual learning environment and course management system, where faculty can add resources for students to access online.
Payment and Aid Information
The following offices work together to serve our Lincoln, Omaha and Online students:
Phone: (402) 826.8250
- Assistance with online billing and payment methods
- Guiding students to choose the best payment plan that fits their needs
- Settting up payment plans, including monthly installments, employee deferral, payment in full, etc.
- Explaining and providing information in regards to student accounts and statements
Phone: (402) 466.4774
- One-on-one assistance applying for Federal Financial Aid
- Identifying and communicating the required forms and documents
- Financial Counseling and Literacy
Phone: (402) 466.4774
- Assistance in utilizing and understanding your benefits
- Information relating to the various VA Educational Programs
- Access to VA Health Care System via V.I.T.A.L. (e.g., medical appointments, disability rating assistance, counseling, and other VA services)
- Assistance in requesting joint services transcripts (JST)
- Referrals to other internal support services (e.g., requesting reasonable accommodation, academic advising, and financial aid counseling, etc.)
Preparing for Class
You will find all your textbooks and supplies at the Doane University bookstore. You are able to buy or rent, new and used textbooks through your preferred method of payment, or billing it to your student account. You may also use the provided ISBN number to search for the textbooks through other vendors.
Apparel and Merchandise
Visit Doane University’s online spirit store for official merchandise, from t-shirts and sweatshirts, to mugs and more. Doane Apparel and Merchandise is also available for purchase on our Crete campus.
Class assignments for each term are announced on your specific campus. They will also be posted on the course listing on your schedule in Self-Service.
In Lincoln, assignments are posted on the south wall by the elevator of the Fred. D Brown Center.
In Omaha, you can view assignments in the entryway of the campus.
Make a note of the following important dates:
- Schedule release dates
- First Day of Term/Payment Deadline
- Census Day -- Last day to drop/add each term without financial/grade implications
- Grade Release -- Grades will be published on Web Advisor
Schedule release dates are listed on the calendar for each term. Schedules will be sent via email to students' Doane email addresses.
Students register for classes and track their academic progress through Student Planning. The Office of the Registrar offers information and tutorials on how to work your way through this system successfully.
Visit the registration information page or use this helpful tutorial to follow the steps required to register for your classes.
Student Support Services
For Doane University students seeking differently-abled or accessibility services, please visit our Disabilities Service Information Page.
Students are assigned an academic advisor to guide them from their first term to graduation. Throughout your Doane career, your advisor will get to know you and your goals, answer questions, and help you make important decisions.
Doane’s Online Library offers 24/7 access to articles, journals, databases, and reference systems in order to support your quest for knowledge. The Library can be contacted at 402-826-8287 or firstname.lastname@example.org.