Courses at Doane may be offered in a variety of formats.
The Deans request that all faculty add--at minimum--these three items to their Canvas course shells for each term. This is a requirement for all courses, whether or not Canvas is used for active instruction. The minimum information is:
- Faculty contact information
- The course syllabus
- A basic grade book in which final course grades are posted.
- not synchronized--in other words, it doesn't happen at the same time
- at the same time--a synchronous class activity is something that everyone in the class does at the same time
- contact hour
- 50 minutes of classroom time. For most classes, 750 minutes of contact time is required for every credit hour earned--or 15 contact hours per credit hour. The Department of Education expects that, for each contact hour, a course will require a minumum of two additional hours (100 minutes) of work--or 1500 minutes total for each credit hour. This means that each credit hour represents a minimum obligation of 2250 minutes, or 45 hours.
Online, Hybrid and Hyflex classes convert some or all of the contact hours to other, asynchronous instructional activity; however, these course modalities will still target a total of 2250 minutes of work for each credit hour earned.